Saturday 1 March 2014

My Economic Fortune Hasn't Increased Because of Cardinalship - Onaiyekan

The Catholic Archbishop of Abuja Cardinal John Onayekan said his elevation to cardinalship position has not, in anyway, made him a moneybag as the job is a divine call and not a money-making one.

Cardinal Onaiyekan spoke in Abuja yesterday at the second international Islamic arts/calligraphy exhibition organised by a Muslim group, Abuja Muslim Forum.

Some Nigerian clerics are not only cruising in private jets but also owning fleet of cars. But the Catholic Archbishop of Abuja said since he became the cardinal a few years ago, he had not witnessed any corresponding increase in his economic fortune because the post is purely a divine one.

According to him, "many people believe that as a cardinal I must be rich but I always tell them that I have not had any increment in economic fortune since becoming Cardinal".

He said: "Generally, when you are in the world and you are promoted, your salary increases. Well, in the church, it is not like that. My salary has not increased. My economic resources have remained the same. But my prestige has grown, ofcourse, and I now have more responsibility, more work."
BY ZAKARIYYA ADARAMOLA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...